Lessons Learned

Instructional Technology - International Education - Wellness

Interdisciplinary Study with Google Lit Trips

stb

Google Lit Trips is a wonderful instructional mechanism that combines inquiry, analysis, and geography to study literature and allows students to learn from and tell stories about various subjects. An excellent expansion beyond focusing on just literature is provided by Ira Bickoff and Boelle Kuipers on their Sail the Book Web site.

Ira and Boelle constructed an extensive site incorporating Google Earth to tell stories from maritime literature while connecting to art, history, and ocean literacy. They provide text, images, hyperlinks, and Google Earth KMZ files to guide the reader through historical stories. It is an incredible example of using digital resources to engage readers and excite teachers to follow their model. Boelle and Ira include learning activities accessed through Google Earth. They also provide helpful video tutorials to help use the site’s resources.

Image Source

3 Comments

1. Thanks for posting the link. If anyone would like to include activities related to the books please contacted me and I will place them on the blog. Enjoy the material.

Ira Bickoff

2. David Carpenter

August 10, 2014 at 4:13 am

It so turns out Ira that I am attending a Google summit where a couple presenters are focusing on Google Lit Trips and Tours. I shared your excellent work as an excellent application of the tools to support learning. Cheers.

3. Thanks David. Enjoy the Google Summit.