PLS

We know that so much of learning is about making connections. 

This goes not just for students but also for teachers. Fortunately, I work with dynamic teachers who enjoy sharing and building off one another’s ideas.

Case in point, I emailed the Personal Learning System (PLS) page of Web Resources for Learning to Jessa Veneman, who teaches Sixth Graders at my school. Jessa responded with the following.

“One of my goals is to create a more autonomous classroom where kids become more aware of their needs, strengths, and learning styles so that they can be more responsible for their own learning.” We then spoke in person, bouncing some more ideas around. This led me to add the following to the Personal Learning System page.

As one colleague pointed out, working with students to construct their Personal Learning System goes hand in hand with furthering their self-understanding, developing their learner profile, and supporting their learning autonomy while moving them to be goal-oriented. The components of one’s PLS (see below) come together, supporting this idea of self-directed learners as we have them use tools to reflect (blog), create (multiple tools), set goals, and document their understanding and goal attainment through their portfolios.

Thanks, Jessa, for helping me make further connections!

Supporting Resources:

Blog Posts> https://lessonslearned.edublogs.org/tag/personal-learning-system/

Image Source