Lessons Learned

Instructional Technology - International Education - Wellness

What Stalls the Shift?

Three administrators will join us for our June 12th Shifting Our Schools podcast. We will be seeking to understand why, from a leadership position, it seems so difficult to shift our schools. Rick Pierce, Educational consultant, Andy Torris from Shanghai American School, and Struan Robinson from International School Bangkok will be our guests.

As I am not an administrator, I am not in a position to comment on this topic from an admin point of view. While Jeff and I have commented numerous times on what is needed to help schools shift, our number one conclusion is that administrators must lead the effort.

I look forward to hearing what Andy and Struan say and how Rick might respond. Rick has been working with the leaders of my school, Hsinchu International School, over the past year and a half. Rick’s background as a professor at Penn State University and as an administrator at the Milton Hershey School puts him in a position of understanding how to bring about change and the transition process that follows it.

Rick points out that schools often put their energy into developing new programs leading to change, but they need to think more about and plan for the long transition that follows the initial change. The first season of our SOS podcast ends with this critical discussion. It should be a very good one.

2 Comments

1. Hi David,
    I’d like you to know how valuable I find the discussion to be on your SOS podcast. I’ll be tuning in once again for this important discussion. I’ve sent the link to this post to my Principal in the hope that he will join the discussion. He is bringing about change in our school in Australia and is very technology oriented.
    Jenny Luca.

2. David Carpenter

June 8, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Hi Jenny,

I am looking forward to this Thursday’s podcast as well. I think it will be the start of a series of discussions with administrators as we look to continue the podcast come September. Thanks for your support. 🙂