Lessons Learned

Instructional Technology - International Education - Wellness

How to Expand the Learning Community to the Parents?

Technology has a massive role in supporting the inclusion of parents in our school learning communities. The first step is to build on what we already have to include parents in the school, connecting to their talents and interests. How are parents already involved in our schools?

They participate as coaches, tutors, classroom supporters, school board members, etc. By using Web 2.0 tools, we enhance their experiences while improving communication and increasing opportunities for learning for everyone. When parents feel a part of the school where their ideas are being heard and responded to, they are more apt to be supportive and protective of the school in the broader community.

A well-designed school portal/virtual learning environment using wikis, blogs, shared calendars, vodcasts, etc., leads to two-way communication, especially in the busy lives of parents who sometimes have trouble making it to campus. Just think of the little league baseball coach or scout leader wanting to share information about their team. Give them a Web page in the school portal, a blog, an image gallery, etc., and you will have a parent feeling connected to the school while modeling how to make connections for other activity leaders.

With our telecollaborative efforts to extend learning beyond the school walls, we should remember that many of our parents are subject matter experts. E-mail, Skype, and simple telephone calls to interview and gather information bring parents into our learning circles. Students producing news shows can record interviews over Skype for upcoming telecasts. Parents can watch or listen to teachers’ media files, sharing some of their recent lessons online. How about using Ustream for live webcasts, sharing panel discussions, parent education presentations, etc? The videos can then be posted on the school Web site for parents unable to attend in person or via cyberspace.

Looking at supporting 21st-century learning initiatives, it makes sense to engage parents in discussions from both the parental and employer viewpoints. If we want to shift our schools, get the corporate parents in to discuss the skills they want from their employees. This real-world information can only support efforts to change how we teach. From there, get parents involved in big-picture curriculum discussions. Use the school portal to educate and engage parents in discussing our learning environments and instructional strategies to develop creative, collaborative, and adaptable thinkers.

1 Comment

1. Hi David, Thanks for the post over on my blog. I will certainly keep an eye out for David Navis and Gwynne Jones from HKIS at the 21st Century Learning @ Hong Kong conference. I am really busy trying to get the word about the conference out to the schools at the moment. The biggest challenge that I am finding is that the smaller International Schools are not so interested. After dozens of emails to schools like American International and YCEF, I spent two days of last week knocking on doors in a suit and tie with a pile of posters under my arm. I got the response from most that you refer to in your latest post. “The SMT of the school is far too busy to consider replying to your email or meeting you to discuss an EdTech conference in Hong Kong.” I am amazed at how many schools in 2008 still see the use of tech for learning as a luxury or, worse still, they buy an IWB for every classroom and say that they are a state-of-the-art high tech school!
    I have to say that this also reflects in the acquisition of a VLE by schools. There are a lot of them out there that have not done any real planning or evaluation of their needs. They just want to put something in that serves out work to kids, especially in times of flu suspension like we had last week, and move on.
    I really don’t know how you would involve them in a conversation. The school that I referred to in my post takes around a week to respond to email from me and doesn’t return phone calls. I am really hopeful that I can make some breakthroughs when a few of their staff attend the conference. I would have preferred it to have been some of the SMT but with these schools I welcome and encourage baby steps.
    Stay in touch!
    Paul