Lessons Learned

Instructional Technology - International Education - Wellness

Skype Connects Role Players & Subject Matter Expert

A teacher at my school recently used a simulation, technology and a subject matter expert to bring deeper understanding to her students’ understanding of Shakespeare.

Ms. Galland’s Advanced Placement Language and Composition class read Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice, analyzing how a moneylender named Shylock demands repayment from a debtor named Antonio. Shylock asks that Antonio repay him his 3000 ducats with a “pound of flesh,” as promised in the verbal contract they agreed on.

The AP students held a mock trial in class before George Galland, an attorney in Chicago. Mr. Galland played the role of judge over Skype. The plaintiffs used legal opinions, evidence from the Folger Shakespeare Library, and other websites and articles documenting the climate and laws in Elizabethan England to present and defend their cases. Mr. Galland favored the defendant but was impressed with the AP students’ preparation, presentations, textual citations, and courtroom performances.

Acknowledgment: Hilary Galland helped author this post.

2 Comments

1. Man, that looks like such a great activity. I have often thought about how we could use skype to bring Pro’s into the classroom – living in Vietnam, there are not always opportunities to get folks in the flesh. Have always worried about the technology going astray at the crucial moment. I’m comfortable dealing with issues as they arise in the classroom but bringing in the extra element (the professional) makes me a little nervous!

Love your work though!

2. David Carpenter

February 18, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Hilary is an incredible teacher as the students really were excited about their reading of Shakespeare. Simulations really do lead to deeper understanding. As for the possibly failure of the technology, we do need to have back up plans ready. Good point that things can go wrong. 🙂 I will be teaching at an IB school next year and plan to bring in a professor or two via skype so I definitely am one to say that I am not the expert.