portrait

“Mr. Carpenter, I finished my summer slideshow, could I draw a picture of my friend?” The image above is what the First Grader created as time ran out for our class. Wow! What a talented student who so benefits from the teaching of Kim Norton, our incredible art teacher.

Soccer

The above image is one slide pulled from a Wixe presentation in which my labels show how the First Grader pulled and inserted a photo from Britannica ImageQuest to then put a layer on top of it to engage her drawing skills and use of the Wixie image library. Brilliant mashup of media if you ask me. 🙂

duck architecture

Speaking of Kim, what you see above is a Second Grader’s depiction of Duck Art. Kim met with me at the start of June to collaborate in having the Second Graders respond to the idea of using architecture to depict everyday items, specifically ones to be sold. Kim uses prompts to have her students think, reflect and write about the art they create. It was an excellent transfer task to have them think in advertising and design terms to create their Duck Architecture.

The school year ended with students in First to Fourth Grade constructing a slideshow to communicate their goals and plans for the summer. My SMART goal for the year was to improve our Fourth Graders’ design skills significantly. The goal applied to grades 1-6, but I needed to focus on only one grade level.

I used my Multimedia Rubric to assess the slideshows while also doing reflection on the dispositions and other skills the students learned. Besides expanding their Personal Learning Systems, I saw many students become much more confident as they worked with generative tools, databases, and Google Apps to show what they knew.

Here are a few slides pulled from Fourth Grader slideshows to paint the picture using image-rich slides either pulled from Image Quest or drawn in Wixie.

airport

artcreative

creativeimage

splitimages